joi, 15 aprilie 2010

Zaporijia and Khortitza Island



Zaporoje or Zaporizhzhya how the locals would say is one of the nicest cities in Ukraine , at least from the ones that I have visited so far , I went there in the middle of the week on Wednesday evening and met my host Roman , actually planning this trip was kinda short notice . When I said to the girls that I will visit Zaporoje , Evelyn my colleague from Ecuador said that she wants to join me ,so I waited her to pack for another hour and then left to the AftoVagzal. The trip with the marshutka was kinda´ short . We arrived there in the late evening and Roman and his wife showed us the city a little bit .

In the morning we went to visit around , Zaporizhzhya has 815.000 people and it is a long streak of a city , concentrated along one endless street . It is a medium size city for Ukraine but pretty nice. Me and Evelyn visited a local musem that combines old and recent history with fauna and geologic stuff. The most interesting part of the musem was that related to the WW2 and the disputes between the Russians and Germans .



The church from the cossack village



In the evening we went to Khortytsya(Hortitza) Island , the most famous place in whole region , the place of birth of the cossacks where we visited Skivski Stan , the 16th century base of the famous Zaporizhny Cossacks , a musem related with the history of Cossacks and village replica used for a movie here on the island.

In order to get on the island we must had to pass through Dniprogress , the largest dam in the URSS. In the Lonley Planet Guide it is written that until 2007 this ¨Dniprogress¨ was part of the following list , Eiffel Tower , golden Gate Bridge , Empire State Building , Panama Canal , Suez Canal , Alaska Highway , that means that until 2007 this Zaporizhzhya Dnirpogres Dam with it´s 760 m , was one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. It is hard to imagine that because our( Romanian ) Vidraru Dam with it´s 162 m of hight looks more impressive than it .




The next day , I walked Evelyn to the Bus station that on the end of Lenina street ( the longest street in Europe with 14 km ) and on my way back decided to walk all the way from an end to another , it was worth it , because after 3 and a half hours of walking I could say now that I know all Zaporizhzhya.



In the evening another party expected me , because one American girl Heata from CS , invited me and my friends to her American friends flat . In the evening the other girls from our flat decided to come to Zapo , because in the morning we were supposed to have the great rope JUMP !

One amazing thing happened to me in the streets of Zapo , we were having a shaorma and a beer when a lady that was cleaning the streets approached us and spoke in English , it was such a emotional moment that I´ve made a picture with her , the most impressive was because here in Ukraine you could hardly find some English speakers among young people, not to tell about the elder ones.







So Zaporoje will remain in my mind forever also because of this jump and for the great time that I had there

Un comentariu: